Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Big C

 I have been thinking about competing in a Triathlon for about two years, but felt that I had to be more organized in my life. Work and the kids had to be balanced along with needing my husband's support. Training and fundraising is a big commitment.
Last Wednesday I made the decision official by signing up. The reason for a triathlon? To achieve the Triple Crown. In TNT terms- compete in three endurance events with TNT. Ultimately, I use Team in Training to get me into shape. I perform better when I pursue a goal. The goal this year is to be able to swim, bike and run at the Olympic distance.
So I benefit from TNT by having someone train me for free. All I have to do is raise funds for Blood Cancers. It's a great cause, right? So my thinking is, Pay it Forward. I am so blessed that my children are healthy. So thankful that I haven't been exposed to this awful disease.
It has not even been a week since my commitment and the Big C has hit home. Yesterday, a guy that works for my husband, told Scott that he has cancer. Wrapped around his spine, no less. Today, another of Scott's manager's wife underwent surgery to remove a tumor in her breast. This evening, my Dad told me he has Prostate Cancer for the second time. Wow- that's a lot of Cancer.
Reality has set in. Cancer is everywhere. All of us know someone who has Cancer or had Cancer. It sucks; emotionally, physically and financially. This is what I know.... I no longer swim to tone my arms. I don't cycle to build cardio and I don't run to have great legs. I do these things because it's a reminder of what others have to go through; friends, family and strangers alike. It's a reminder that we have to find a cure and anything that we do gets us one step closer to finding it.

No comments:

Post a Comment