Saturday, June 11, 2011

The day the Ipod died

"Welcome to the planet..." sings Switchfoot as I start my morning run, eyes trained on the water. Waves are crashing white foam against the black lava rocks. The giant palm trees sway in the breeze. There is no other place I'd rather be completing my last run before the triathlon. Its a balmy 80 degrees in Maui... only a slight difference from the rainy, shoe soaking 50 degree weather in San Francisco the weekend before.

I am like 80% of runners and listen to music. Often I don't know how to function without it. I tweak the playlist to fit my run or the location I'm in. I had a lot of alternative and rock planned for this particular run. Nothing to fast, not to slow.... Just enough to keep me loose for the race. The first mile and a half went smoothly. I ran around, between and through other pedestrians who were enjoying the Maui sunshine. Smiles and "good mornings" were exchanged.... And then it happened.

You know, that dreadful event that every runner hates. That every runner swears will never happen to them... The Ipod died! It shut off and would not return. No music for me. How would I make it back to the hotel? Sure, I could walk, but that's not the point. I had to finish my run. I had to be sure that I was loose. I panicked. I was in search of any potential comrade in arms who I could talk to in order to make it back.

No such luck. I had to make a go of it. Don't laugh. Running for me is a struggle. I have to use any means necessary to get started and not stop. If my Ipod dies, that is just another excuse not to train. Oops, the Ipod died, I guess I can't run today....

Not today. I took the headphones off and wrapped them around the Ipod. I turned around and headed back for the second half of my run. And then I remembered the absolute beauty of where I was. I watched the birds soar overhead and listened to the sounds of the ocean. Gratitude filled me as I thought how lucky I was to be in such a special place. Not only was I on one of the most beautiful islands in the world, but I was about to accomplish a lifelong goal, surrounded by friends and family who have supported me through this process.

I did finally make it back. I actually ended the run with a pace faster than I began. But I learned my lesson. Be grateful for what you have and enjoy your surroundings. Never take that for granted.... And always charge your Ipod.

No comments:

Post a Comment